Friday 10 February 2012

Age and memory

Before I go into my next blog. I wanted to add another flim which i hold close to my heart

The Notebook.... I'm sure many of you have watched it, so won;t go into to much detial about it, but the reason I link it to my memory blog, is that there is a very strong possibilty that I will develop alzhiemers when i get older, and knowing this I started a memory journal at the age of 16, long befor the notebook come out. in the flim she writes the book so that her husband can try to bring her back from the confusion of the deasise. She may only come back for short periods of time. I have created my book in the hope that it may help, but as I could never keep a diary as a child, i kept photos, objects, etc.. I raided my parents and grandparents photo albums and would make copies. I used to love looking at the faces of them when they were younger, with their friends. I also created a photo book for my mother for her 50th birthday as suprise, it contained images of all her children from birth to the present day, as well as her growing up, with much stress and help from my grandad. As my mum is at risk also she hopes this will help her too. Of course, there is no proof or medical eveidence to suggest that it will help, its something positive to do and a kind of acceptence to this fact. At least the people we leave behide will have something to remember us by. I will include some pages from this book shortly.

I am debating looking furthur into he issues of how alzhiemers strips us away from who we are, and i know from painful expereince the memory changes, before the person we love dissapears completely they seem to live in the past, they talk as they are there, mentioning names, places, things they were doing. is the memory tricking them? or the brain trying to make sense of what is happening? I think it is something that needs looking into. photos will follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment